Sunday, March 29, 2009

Belle Grove



I stumbled onto this plantation house a few years back while looking at historic homes and such in the Bayou and in Louisiana.

Here she is in her dilapidated state. Notice the columns on the side of the house? This was taken in the 1930's and there are no known pictures of the interior. This is a LA plantation. (Although I don't like what plantations were all about, I still have an appreciation for the structure of the house itself)
The house caught fire in 1952 and was bulldozed. I feel loss when I see it like this and then to think of it's demise. And, I have never seen it. Strange I know. I found a dead end when I was looking into it's past and why it was abandoned. Bet it had something to do with property tax!


Notice at the top of the picture you see a chandelier medallion. I am sure something beautiful hund there.

I have always wondered what this old plantation house would have looked like in her glory days. 

Note: Check out Oak Alley!  {Here}

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails